Sunday, July 21, 2013

July 21- My first Pow Wow Day

As we arrived to Wallowa, I was getting a bit nervous to attend my very first pow wow. I have heard stories of racism by fellow class mates and I did not want to be stared down because I was not Native American. We got there a bit late so Saturday night we did not have much time to spend at the pow wow because we were exhausted. It was nice that night to fall asleep to the beat of the drum and the Native American songs. We woke up bright and early  to go to the Nez Perce Tribe's fishery led by Jim Harbeck (Field Officer Super for Nez Perce Fishery). He  had taken us to the Nez Perce Weir at Lostine River. When we arrived at the fishery, Jim gave us some information about the salmon population. We viewed the Spring Chinook Salmon at the site which are captured measured and  checked for internal identification tags and injected with an antibiotic. After a long morning we went to the Chief Joseph's grave a the tip of Wallowa Lake. Our group loves swimming and Jessica gave in and let us swim. The water was amazing . It was clear and perfect temperature!Afterwards we headed back to the grounds and got invited to the friendship feast. I tried many foods that I have never had before. I tasted buffalo and Elk. They had buffalo meat loaf but for anyone that knows me, I will never give in and eat meat loaf so I just ate the regular buffalo. It was actually very good. I think I need to start giving more foods a chance!( still stubborn about meat loaf though, yuck!)
Once the friendship feast was over we headed back to our camp to meet and talk with a Nez Perce tribal elder, Elmer Crow and his wife. He mainly spoke about his history and about  the cultural and scientific importance of these animals in our world. He really made me think! He told all of us to be educated in where we come from , and how to introduce ourselves to a croud with confidence. He also passed around home made eels and other items that he made himself. After we enjoyed his company we go to go enjoy the rest of the pow wow! Over all..Great Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment